Stone art of an unexpectedly high quality can be admired in the late Gothic church of St. Andreas. This cultural achievement was possible on the one hand because there were sufficient funds available to employ skilled craft workers, because over the centuries the Pittersburg castle near Laas was home to some wealthy administrators. They were responsible for having the church built. On the other hand, the materials required for stone masonry were also found on-site: the red Laas sandstone which is easy to process thanks to its fine-grained structure. A church was built here under the direction of Bartlmä Firtaler between 1510 and 1535. The very best quality stonemasonry can be found on the doorway to the sacristy. A Late Gothic lock and fittings have also been preserved on the door itself. The little stone men high above the buttresses decorated with finials on the outer wall are somewhat bizarre in appearance. The stones around the West and South doorways with their Late Gothic iron-clad doors have also been elaborately carved. The stellar and latticed ribbed vault with its delicately painted flowers is part of the special charm of this church.
- The temporary exhibition “The Wonders of the Underworld – Ampezzo, 20th June 2020
- The Geological Museum in Ampezzo opens next Saturday
- The temporary exhibition “Fossil fish from the Friulian Alps” opens again
- Coronavirus Emergency – extraordinary closing
- Presentation conference – book “INSIDE THE CARNIC ALPS” – Udine, 25th June 2019